trip highlights: austin, tx

Saturday, October 5, 2013



If you follow me on instagram, you may have noticed I visited Austin, Texas last month. It was my first time to Austin, and while we were only there for 48 short hours, we hit up most of the spots on my must-see list.

The majority of our time was spent on 6th Street. My favorite bar was a dive on the Dirty 6 side called Dizzy Rooster, which I later found out was one of the favorite haunts of the Real World Austin cast.


The entire bar was covered in bottle caps. I loved every filthy, rusted one of them.


6th Street was oddly welcoming to K-Staters. Call it southern hospitality, or a way to get purple people in to your bar to spend a bunch of money. Either way, I liked it.


The weather was insane, and lucky for us we were out early enough to get a prime spot on the roof-top at Shakespeare's. From what I encountered, the tailgating experience is nothing like it is in Manhattan, or most Big 12 campuses for that matter. Instead of SUVs and RVs lined up in fields and parking lots surrounding the stadium, most people hang out at the bars on 6th Street, or went to a banquet hall that I can only describe as where your aunt may have had her wedding reception in the early 1980s. It was so Texas, and it was awesome.


After our loss (boo) and a perfect night's sleep on Saturday, we awoke on Sunday to meet friends at my now FAVORITE brunch place ever: Bess Bistro on Pecan. First off, they serve dollar mimosas, which apparently is a normal occurrence in Austin. This needs to become a thing in KC. Stat. Brunch was all-you-can-eat, so I started off with a mimosa and an order of deconstructed croque monsieur. I've never even had a constructed croque monsieur , so I wasn't really sure what I was ordering. It had just the right amount of truffle oil on the toast, a perfectly crispy-fried poached egg, and spicy blackened ham. After a pass through the delicious buffet line, Adam and I split the most popular order of the day - Fruity Pebble pancakes. Oh My G, I thought about those pancakes for days afterwards.


We had almost a full day before needing to head to the airport, so after eating our weight in breakfast food we bid adieu to our friends and went to Rainey Street. It's a small street where the adorable houses have been transformed into bars with backyard games, garages turned into restrooms, and parking lots filled with food trucks. Such a fun little street with so much character.


ATX - you were fun. I'll be back.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

thank you so much for your comments, I adore reading them.

finer feelings All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger