how my wine and shopping habits helped jumpstart spring cleaning

Tuesday, March 5, 2013



Oh man, am I excited to see March. Have you noticed all of the spring cleaning articles and pins lately? This is the time of year when I add "clean" to my daily to do list, but rarely ever implement a new organization system or create something that will help keep my quarters tidy all year long.

Enter 2013. I officially caught the spring cleaning bug yesterday. Using Darling Magazine's spring cleaning advice, I decided to split each area in need into zones that I can tackle one at a time. Yesterday's focus was on the bathroom.

The area under the sink has been a disaster zone since I moved in over two years ago. I never organized it with much intention, and so it quickly became a mess of all things hair, makeup, and cleaning supplies. I couldn't even take a "before" picture to document its transformation, it was so bad. 

I targeted the main culprit behind the chaos: too many hair appliances with no place to call home. My curling iron, wand, straightener, and blow dryer were in a constant cord-tangled battle. I'd seen a brilliant solution for this problem using PVC pipes on the back of the vanity doors, but really wanted something that would work without using any type of adhesive since I'm renting. A few other musts for this project included using materials already in my possession, and needing very little Home Ec skills to get the job done. 

This is where wine and shopping come in to play. Who else has those super convenient six-pack wine carriers stashed somewhere in their pantry? I decided this CVS bag was the perfect solution to my vanity clutter issue. 



The only problem was figuring out a way to keep the bag from toppling over once the curling irons went in. I grabbed the delivery box from my recent ShoeMint purchase and started cutting away at the cardboard flaps. Six large pieces and some folding later, I had found my super easy (and very little measuring needed!) solution.




Now everything has a place. I'm so happy with this thrifty and easy solution. Added bonus: my hair products are more easily accessible in the bin next to the CVS bag instead of constantly being thrown about the space under the sink. I hope to use my products like the PHYTO hydrating cream more often now that I can always find it right next to the blow dryer.

1 comments:

  1. Ha! You used that wine holder as a vanity holder instead! That's great thinking! A lot of people have these bags and probably don't know how to dispose of it. Well, you showed them a great example of recycling. Congratulations on your new vanity holder! Now, you have more reason to buy wine! Haha!

    Fatima Bugg

    ReplyDelete

thank you so much for your comments, I adore reading them.

finer feelings All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger