thought for the day

Friday, September 2, 2011

“I must have books everywhere. They’re the soul of a room — they reveal the taste, the interests, and the secrets of whoever lives there." - Diane Von Furstenberg


I saw this quote Monday from belle maison (amazing blog!). I read it, liked it, and moved along with my day. Then I went to dinner at Urban Table, a wonderful new restaurant in Prairie Village, with my dear high school friends on Tuesday. After delicious bruschetta, a few glasses of wine, lots of laughter and discussing our bucket lists (more on that later), we were each presented with our bills - in a book! Not just random paper backs, either. These were first and second generation classics, five of the six I'm embarrassed to say I'd never heard of. 


I'm not going to sit here and say I'm an old soul or a reading machine, although I'd really like to be both. But there's something about books that make a home, party or purse 1,000 times more interesting. You just can't do that with a Kindle. So yet again, DVF is right on point. Love her.


Books don't have to be displayed in the typical fashion, either. I love these examples of books being used as decor, in anything but a bookshelf. 


houzz.com
 Stacked books make a table. 

prettychicblog.dk
Wedding decor. Need to keep this in mind if I ever get a fiance.....

havenandhome.blogspot.com
Stacked in the fireplace.  

Maydecemeberhome.blogspot.com
 Floating bookshelves. The referenced blog gives a DIY tutorial. So cute and practical for apartment dwellers.





0 comments:

Post a Comment

thank you so much for your comments, I adore reading them.

finer feelings All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger