freezing

Wednesday, August 15, 2012



A welcome cold front has moved over Kansas City the last couple days. I sat outside last night and actually wished for a sweatshirt (!). Although it has been cool, this is not the freezing I'm talking about today....

I've made the rather impulse challenging decision to go on a spending freeze for the next month. This isn't out of necessity, but really to see if I can muster the self-control it is going to take to not spend frivolously during my favorite shopping season. And if I add a couple hundred dollars to my savings, that'd be an added bonus.

you stop that, j. crew
History shows I'm not so good at not spending money. Last week I dropped $60 on this Chiefs pullover. I don't regret it because it's adorable & I only have one other Chiefs shirt to get me through the upcoming season, but this is the type of impulse shopping I do on the reg. Sales are typically involved, but even then I'm spending money on things I don't need, like more clothes.

History will also tell you I am not great at practicing anything related to self-control. Just last month I tried to go five days without red meat. I lasted three.

This exercise is a challenge to prove to myself that I have some degree of shopping self-control. Hell, maybe I'll get in the habit of being frugal.

Frugal as in 'let's spend less money more wisely', not 'let's never spend money again, ever'.

I'm putting it on the blog to hold myself accountable. The freeze is intended for clothes, shoes, and accessories (like this iPhone case I want so badly). The freeze does not include food or booze. A girl has to stay happy somehow while in a spending freeze, am I right? It also doesn't include beauty products, which as previously mentioned I get mostly from CVS and is not a huge chunk of my budget.

There is one caveat already - I have to buy my first pair of Spanx for a wedding this weekend. I felt a tad depressed by the fact I need Spanx until I read this article by LC.

So there you have it. Thanks to Morgan at xoxo, me for the inspiration. Wish me luck!

1 comments:

  1. YAYY! I'm so happy for you! I'm sure you can do it, and I think you'll find that it's not as difficult as you think it's going to be. It's quite eye opening in that you'll realize just how much you don't actually NEED. Best of luck to you! I'm sure you're going to be successful, and if you need some support or words of encouragement, you know where to find me :)

    ReplyDelete

thank you so much for your comments, I adore reading them.

finer feelings All rights reserved © Blog Milk Powered by Blogger